We’ve been trying out some of the recipes from the Soulmatefood ‘Fitness Gourmet’ cookbook and we asked the guys if we could share one or two of our favourites. This protein-packed, sweet breakfast is up there. It can be prepared the night before and shoved in your gym bag as perfect post gym-session fuel.
For the flapjack:
375g (1 cup) honey
375g (1⅔ cups) spreadable
600g (10½ cups) flaked oats
30g (1oz) unflavoured whey
protein (I use unflavoured whey from myprotein)
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp ground allspice
For the fruit:
1 small mango
40g (¼ cup) blackberries
40g (¼ cup) blueberries
For the honeyed yoghurt:
200g (scant 1 cup) Greek yogurt
2 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 2½ and line a baking tray (cookie sheet) with baking parchment.
- Melt the honey and butter in a large pan on a low heat. Remove from the heat and then add the oats, whey protein and spices, and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the mixture out onto the prepared baking tray (cookie sheet) and bake in a preheated oven for 20–25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cool, turn the flapjack out onto a chopping (cutting) board and divide into 15 pieces (each should weigh about 80g/3¼oz). One piece makes a portion for a snack. This flapjack keeps for a week in an airtight container.
- Next, prepare the fruit. Peel the mango, remove its stone and cut into small cubes. Quarter the figs.
Make the honeyed yoghurt by mixing the yoghurt and honey together.
- To assemble, cut 1 piece of flapjack into small bite-sized cubes. In 2 glasses, create various layers of yogurt, different fruits and flapjack, ending with the fig quarters.
Recipe extracted from Fitness Gourmet by Christian Coates, published by Jacqui Small www.jacquismallpub.com.