I’m not a fan of shop bought protein bars. I’m still on the quest to find one that doesn’t taste revolting and isn’t full to rubbish. However they are a quick, easy source of protein to chuck in your gym bag. So I decide to go homemade. Here’s some cheaper, easier and tastier chocolate and nut protein bars you can make at home in a few minutes.
MAKES 6 BARS
- Three tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter (smooth if you’re that way inclined)
- Two tablespoons of ground almonds
- 100g of protein (whatever flavour you have/fancy) for this we used vanilla USN Casein Night Time Protein
- A couple of splashes of almond milk (any milk will do)
- Bar of dark chocolate
- Two tablespoons of chopped hazelnuts
- Take a mixing bowl and tip in all of the ingredients apart from the chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Massage it all together until it turns into a dough. (If it’s too wet or sticky then add a few more ground almonds).
- Then flatten it out into a rectangle shape on a surface that’s lightly dusted with ground almonds. Then cut into bars.
- Break up the chocolate and place it in a small glass or metallic bowl. Place the bowl in a saucepan containing about an inch of boiling water and let the chocolate melt.
- When it’s melted take a spoon and pour enough over the individual bars to cover the top, spreading it out with the back of the spoon.
- When you’ve covered each bar sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over the top.
- Stick them in the fridge for 10 – 15 minutes to set.
- Try not to eat them all at once (like us).